Beginner or Pro, we have something for everyone. Held every second Wednesday after work, at Freyberg Beach on Oriental Parade. Race your heart out, or just toe the line and have some fun. We promise you quality, safety, and a smile on your face. And you’ll be home in time for tea.
|Race One||29th November 2017|
|Race Two||13th December 2017|
|Race Three||10th January 2018|
|Race Four||24th January 2018|
|Race Five||7th February 2018|
|Race Six||21st February 2018|
|Race Seven||7th March 2018|
|Race Eight||21st March 2018|
|6.10pm||Novice & Kids 2K Start|
|6.20pm||400m Start (mens and womens)|
|Race One||150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 3km Run|
|Race Two||150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 4km Run|
|Race Three||150m, 400m, 730m, or 1300m Swim, 4km Run|
|Race Four||150m, 400m, 730m or 1300m Swim, 5km Run|
|Race Five||150m, 400m, 730m, or 1300m Swim, 3km Run|
|Race Six||150m, 400m, 730m or 1300m Swim, 4km Run|
|Race Seven||150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 5km Run|
|Race Eight||150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 3km Run|
Only the swim distance in bold counts for points in the Series Champion Race.
Open Water Swim
Every night 150m, 400m, 730m, 1300m, 2000m and 2500m (for events 3 & 5) options are available. The Longest distance each night counts toward series points. You must be able to complete a 2000m swim within 45 minutes to enter that event.
Do you want to really challenge yourself in 2018?
For events 3 and 5 we are introducing a longer openwater swim event called the Pt. Jerningham swim. This will be a 2.5km out and back open water swim course (There will be no 2km swim course option on those nights)
Cost will be $35
The splashanddash starts and finishes on Freyberg Beach, on Oriental Parade, adjacent to Freyberg Pool. You can park in the Freyberg Pool carpark for $1.50 per hour, or on Oriental Parade.
Keep in mind Oriental Parade can get pretty busy on fine days in the middle of summer, and it may be easier and quicker to walk from town if you already have a car parked in there.
You can enter on the night (cash only or a pretty solid IOU) or you can enter online. Online entries are available until 12pm on the day of the event. Discounts on entry are available (up to a free season entry) if accompanied by the purchase of a 2XU wetsuit from us. Contact us for further information.
Entry on the night is cash only and we do NOT have EFTPOS / CC facilities.
(best value – $61 discount)
|Pt. Jeringham Swims
(events 3 & 5)
|Kids 2k||gold coin|
|Student under 18||$10|
|Maximum cost for family||$45|
Other useful items
(available on site only)
|Skull caps (neoprene cap worn under swim
cap for wellington conditions available on site)
(available on site and online)
(available on site and online)
Free entry with purchase of a wetsuit!
Prizegiving is quick and well organised and worth sticking around for. We draw quality sponsor product as spot prizes at each event. You must be present to receive your prize. Prize giving will begin as soon as the last competitor finishes.
Kids (under 13 years old)
Our objective is that kids enjoy their events, and are safe when they participate in them. The minimum age for participating in the splashanddash, without an assessment, is 13 years of age. If your child is under 13 but is a competent swimmer, participating in organised swim training on a regular basis, we invite you to bring them down a little early and have them assessed by our water safety crew. This will involve having them swim out and around the pontoon off Freyberg Beach, in an overarm style, in a continuous manner. It is our intention to include kids in our event, not exclude them, but it is important that they are competent swimmers so that they enjoy themselves, and they and other swimmers stay safe.
Once your child has been assessed he or she will be free to participate for the rest of the season. If they are not successful they are welcome to come back and try again at a later event. We will not take your word for it, we need to see it, and the decision of our water safety crew is final.
- Series points are awarded in 10 year age groups on results of your best 7 swims (u/20, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+).
- Your age group is determined by the age you will be on Christmas day 2017.
- Series points will be awarded for the longest distance available in each event each evening.
- Points are awarded for either Open water swim or Swim/Run. It’s not possible to mix points.
- The secondary schools points competition run on a separate schedule.
- On nights the 2500m Pt Jerningham swim is available series entrants will automatically be able to opt for the longer 2500m swim and are not subject to the additional fee charged for this distance. Individual entries for the Pt Jerningham swim are $35.
- Series Entries are limited to 100 people across all events/categories.
Kids 2 K
If you have young kids who just want to get involved, or aren't ready or keen on swimming, the Kids2K is the event for them. They start when the Novice events start, and run 1 Lap of whatever distance is offered that night. That means they will run 1.5km, 2km, or 2.5km. They will be running on Oriental Parade and will need to be able to recognise the run turnaround, as we do not have a Marshal at that location.
Entry is a gold coin donation. Your kid will be chip timed, be eligible for spot prizes, and will be made to feel part of the event.
We take your safety and the reputation of the event very seriously. Rescue Craft are on the water at all times and medical equipment and expertise is available at the event HQ. For your safety and the safety of others involved in the event you are required to follow the instructions of the event staff at all times.
Cancellations, refunds, and entry transfers
Once an entry has been accepted we will not refund that entry. Entries cannot be transferred to another person. Series Entries will not be part refunded due to event cancellations or inability to attend events. In inclement weather conditions we reserve the right to modify the swim course and/or distances to ensure the safety of participants. If an event is cancelled entries will be credited to a later event. Entries will not be transferred to another season. If the last event of the season is cancelled the entry is forfeited. Series Entries will not be part refunded due to event cancellations. The decision to modify a course or cancel an event is made by our Safety Team and that decision is final.
note: For guidance, cancellations occur approximately once every three seasons. Course modifications happen about once a season.
Further Terms and Conditions
- On this site we are promoting and taking entries for the splashanddash, a swimming and running based recreational sports event in Wellington, New Zealand. The events are held on the dates listed at the top of this page.You can buy a single race entry or an entry into all events of the current season.
- You will receive an email confirming your race entry. You do not need to present this on race day, we will have a record of your online registration in our registration system.
- Your privacy is important to us. Your personal details will not be shared with any other organisation or individual. You may receive emails from us that relate to our events, and they may include promotions of our sponsors products. You will be able to unsubscribe from these emails.
- Prices are in New Zealand dollars.
- You may not enter the splashanddash online if you are under 13 years age.
- There are no surcharges for entering the event with a credit card.